seekdebate930
seekdebate930
seekdebate930
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
seekdebate930

This forum is provided for the students and parents participating in the introduction to debate class at SEEK co-op, fall 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE

Go down 
+17
Taylor
curran
Jeremy Adams
justin is a boss
anamaew
caleb fountaine
Katelyn_NYC_98
Brayden
annalawson
JoshLawson
BUHLERR
tgrice
Alex Brown
the_kev_m.d
libby fowler
justinhartman
Mrs. Gray
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty
PostSubject: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/4/2009, 3:07 pm

In class on Sept. 3rd, I assigned you the task of observing and recording 2 logical fallacies on the forum. For the sake of this exercise I would prefer that you not use the AD HOMINEM fallacy. (this fallacy is far too commonly used, easily understood, and not something I want to "major" on in our class) I want you to think through what we discussed in class on Wednesday and process what you read in your book this week. Keep a look out for fallacies occuring in your everyday life, or do your best to remember and record something you heard in the past. The purpose of this assignment is to show me you understand and can apply the introductory materials on common fallacies.

Here is how I'd like you to format your post:

Name of Fallacy: Description of how it presented in your life.

For example:

Hasty Generalization: When I was listening to the news I heard an elderly gentleman comment about how he felt all
highschool students were disrespectful and lazy.

Please attempt to post your homework one time; listing both observed fallacies. Remember how I told you in class that I get an email notice every time someone posts anything to the forum.

Thanks
Mrs. Gray

To post your homework simply reply back to this topic.

Last edited by Mrs. Gray on 9/8/2009, 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
justinhartman

justinhartman

PostSubject: this work?   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/5/2009, 1:57 am

yesterday
my friend said that all movie that have brad pit are dumb but then he went on to say he liked Mrs and MR smith?
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: Use the format I suggested please   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/5/2009, 8:38 am

Justin your example can work however you need to post it in the format I suggested:

Quote :
Here is how I'd like you to format your post:

Name of Fallacy: Description of how it presented in your life.

For example:

Hasty Generalization: When I was listening to the news I heard an elderly gentleman comment about how he felt all highschool students were disrespectful and lazy.

So name the fallacy, then state your example.
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/6/2009, 3:59 pm

appeal to pity

"I'm positive that my work will meet your requirements. I really need the job since my grandmother is sick"
Back to top Go down
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/6/2009, 4:02 pm

Hasty Generalization

Sam is riding her bike in her home town in Maine, minding her own business. A station wagon comes up behind her and the driver starts beeping his horn and then tries to force her off the road. As he goes by, the driver yells "get on the sidewalk where you belong!" Sam sees that the car has Ohio plates and concludes that all Ohio drivers are rude.
Back to top Go down
the_kev_m.d

the_kev_m.d

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 11:13 am

Hasty generalization

Mom, "Kevin, you never clean your room."
Back to top Go down
the_kev_m.d

the_kev_m.d

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 11:16 am

Hasty Generalization

Nathan, "Kevin, Bailey is annoying to me because she is a Red Wings fan and i am a Penguins fan, so all Red Wings fans are annoying."
Back to top Go down
Alex Brown

Alex Brown

Location : Everywhere and nowhere, all and none, here and there, above and below, in the right and the wrong, good and bad, inside and out, within and insideout, up and down, near and far, hot and cold, and also in Apex NC.

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 4:10 pm

Hasty Generalization
A good friend of mine used this one. he said ''I saw this new cartoon, and it was terrible. Their are no good cartoons these days.''
Back to top Go down
tgrice

tgrice

Location : only stucco house in benny field court in holland crossing in fuquay varina in north carilona in the usa in the east on plant earth

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 5:35 pm

Hasty Generalization: my mom saw a adult anime and now she thinks all anime has bad and has crude parts LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Icon_rolleyes

im upset about this one btw ): no more naruto inuyasha dragon ball z bleach etc. LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Icon_sad

more hasty generalization

my dad knows people mess up computers by hacking
so he thinks all hacking is bad LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Icon_biggrin

last one
my mom thinks that some games are laggy on my computer
that means those games will be laggy on all computers LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
http://tgrice.forumotion.com/forum.htm
BUHLERR

BUHLERR

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 6:38 pm

-Appeal to Popularity-
My sister, Jessica said... " I want to get my cartilage pierced because all of my friends are going together to get them pierced. So why can't I!?"
Back to top Go down
BUHLERR

BUHLERR

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 6:43 pm

-Slippery Slope-

All of my cousins are skiing and encouraging me to ski. But what if I dont get above the water and my ski gets caught on a fishing line that a fisher left in the water and then I drowned and the boat comes back to rescue me and they find that i am missing and they sue the pilot of the boat, who is my uncle. And then my mom and dad stop talking to my uncle and aunt and never attend family vacation again. Therefore, i should never go skiing!
Back to top Go down
JoshLawson

JoshLawson

PostSubject: Logical Fallacies   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 7:22 pm

1. Fallacy of composition:

The mailman put a letter adressed to my neighbor in my mailbox. Therefore, it must be my mail
Back to top Go down
annalawson

annalawson

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 8:19 pm

Fallacy of composition:

Police often pull over people in hot cars. Therefore, all people in hot cars speed.
Back to top Go down
annalawson

annalawson

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 8:23 pm

Hasty Generalization

All homeschool moms wear blue jean dresses.

Ha ha. mom said that was said a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
JoshLawson

JoshLawson

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 8:35 pm

Slippery slope:

If you don't feed me, I might die, and if I die, Nathan will get my Xbox 360, and if Nathan gets my 360, He will be glad I died, and if he's glad i died, he will buy violent video games (AO), and if he buys violent AO games, he will become a murderer, and if he becomes a murderer, he may kill Anna's future Husband, and if he kills Anna's future Husband, Anna will become a catholic Nun, and if Anna becomes a nun, she will hate "The Sound of Music" and she will tear up the movie ruthlessly, and if she tears up one movie ruthlessly, she will tear anything and everything up ruthlessly... You get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Brayden

Brayden

PostSubject: Fallacies!   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/8/2009, 9:58 pm

Appeal to pity:

One of my friends from swimming arrived late for practice today, and my coach said,"Why did you come late?" She responded,"I came late because the bus didn't let me out on time!"

There's my 1st one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.heritage.org/
Alex Brown

Alex Brown

Location : Everywhere and nowhere, all and none, here and there, above and below, in the right and the wrong, good and bad, inside and out, within and insideout, up and down, near and far, hot and cold, and also in Apex NC.

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 10:16 am

slippery slop

If we go to camp, we will have to play the staff in volley ball, and if the play the staff, we will definitely be beaten, and if we lose we will be very sad for the rest of camp, and if we're sad the entire time it would be better to just not go.
Back to top Go down
Katelyn_NYC_98

Katelyn_NYC_98

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 10:22 am

Slippery Slope

"Like a week ago, my friends asked me if I wanted to go on a trip with them to LA, but i said what if I got lost? and I f I got lost, I might die, and if I died, all my money would go to my brother,Jeffrey, and if all my money went to Jeffrey, he could buy whatever he wants, and if he can buy whatever he wants, than he could buy tons of starwars figures, and if he could buy tons of starwarz figures, than 'Target' might run out of starwarz figures, and if 'Target' ran out of starwarz figures, they might go bankrupt, and if they went bankrupt, than the whole economy would fall appart, and if the whole economy fell appart, I would feel responsable, and if I felt responsible, That would be horrible,because I've never been responsable for something bad, and if i've never been responsable for something bad, then I would ruin my wonderful reputation! Wait a second, I'm dead!"

would that work?

Last edited by Katelyn_NYC_98 on 9/9/2009, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Katelyn_NYC_98

Katelyn_NYC_98

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 11:04 am

Hasty Generalization

Me and my mom were on our way to Volley Ball, when a teenager with his friends sped past us going 80 mph. My mom said, "Those teenagers! I tell you they're always speeding!"
Back to top Go down
Brayden

Brayden

PostSubject: Fallacies   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 1:39 pm

False Dilemma:

My little brother said,"Brayden, you have five minutes, take your time!"

There's my second one!
Back to top Go down
http://www.heritage.org/
caleb fountaine

caleb fountaine

PostSubject: my two logical fallacies   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 2:13 pm

Appeal to pity

This tax increase will benefit those on the welfare program who are less fortunate than you.
If that one doesn't work then i have this one too.
"Why didn't you turn in your homework jonathan?" "Mrs. Graham my dog ate my homework, and I don't have a computer to go online to get the homework assingment t do it over again!"

Appeal to the people

"Mom can I go to the concert friday night?" "No, you have a make-up day for school on saturday, and you'll be up to late." "But, mom all my freinds are going to the concert!"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com
anamaew

anamaew

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 2:34 pm

Hasty Generlization

This math currriculm is boring and I dont learn anything from it so all math curriculms are boring and uneducational
Back to top Go down
anamaew

anamaew

PostSubject: Heres my second one   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 2:38 pm

"Go walk your dog." "Why do I have to walk my dog?" "Because she needs to go for a walk"
Back to top Go down
justin is a boss

justin is a boss

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 4:38 pm

Hasty Generalization

Since my friend said eating a whole box of crackers is impossible ; therefore it its.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: Hasty Generalzation & Slippery Slope   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty9/9/2009, 4:49 pm

Jeremy Adams

Piano Teacher notices a student not preforming well. "you didn't practice at all this year."
(Hasty Generalization above)

Lizzy is a 5-year-old who likes to get in trouble.

I want a MAC, but if I get a MAC, Lizzy would want a file. And if she wants a file, she would hog the computer. And if she hogged the computer, she wouldn't want me on the MAC. And if she didn't want me on the MAC, she'd erase my file. And if she erased my file, she wouldn't want me to know. And of she didn't want me to know, she'd hide the computer. and if she hid the MAC, I would try to find it. And if I tried to find it, she would get scared. And if she got scared, she would hide it even better. And if she hid it even better, then I would be looking even harder. and eventually I'd give up, and Lizzy would think she could git away with anything, and then she'd still our credit cards. And if she stole our credit cards, she would go to the super-market across the street. And if she went to the super-market, she'd buy out the store, and we wouldn't be able to pay for it, so we'd have to sell our house!

(Slippery Slope above)

If this doesn't work, contact me, and I'll edit it.

Is there any more homework besides this, the book, and the study guide?
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE Empty

Back to top Go down

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next