seekdebate930
seekdebate930
seekdebate930
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
seekdebate930

This forum is provided for the students and parents participating in the introduction to debate class at SEEK co-op, fall 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!

Go down 
+16
caleb fountaine
Jeremy Adams
Alex Brown
Taylor
the_kev_m.d
justin is a boss
libby fowler
Brayden
josiah canna
anamaew
Katelyn_NYC_98
tgrice
curran
madelineeck
justinhartman
Mrs. Gray
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty
PostSubject: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/4/2009, 12:25 pm

This is a two part assignment:

• Go to your opponent’s case on the forum, If your opponent hasn’t posted his/ her case then choose another student who has. Write out 5 arguments / disagreements that you have against your opponents case. Use what we discussed in class to help you focus on what areas to attack. (Refer to Handout!)

• Write an outline for your negative case: (here is an example of an outline)

Negative CASE outline:

My value =Unity
(Alternate Definitions if you choose to use them:) I would like to offer a different definition for the word: Excellence. Cambridge dicitonary defines excellence as: The quality of being excellent. Excellent means extremely good.
Why is your value important: My value is an important value because we are stronger when we are united.
My main points against this resolution are:
1. Unity is required in order to achieve positive goals.
2. Unity protects individuals from being harmed.
3. Competition interferes with Unity.
(you do not need to provide support for these points in the outline, but you will need to do so next week when you write out your negative case.)

Please post this entire assignment in one post as a response to this topic.
Thanks
Mrs. Gray

Last edited by Mrs. Gray on 10/6/2009, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
justinhartman

justinhartman

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 2:20 pm

uhh just a thing that quote that MR brown used wasn't from adam phelps it came from Phelps Adams

would this make a good argument

"I ran across this quote by Phelps Adams: "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"

First, capitalist do not see a rich man and his fine home and say, "All men should have as much." The capitalist sees the rich man and his fine home and thinks, "He and I need to always make sure others do not have access to the means that allow us to live in our fine homes." Phelps is smart enough to know he's lying.

Second, the communist sees a rich man and his fine home and says, "The means of production with which labor produces the wealth that creates rich men and fine homes shall belong to everybody." What the communist objects to is not the rich man and his fine house, but the reality that the rich man and fine house exist because the majority of men are enslaved.

Capitalism is a system in which the means of production are concentrated in the hands of a few men who use this power to subjugate the masses and compel them to labor for the capitalist. This is the reality of capitalism. The notion that capitalism makes everybody rich is completely and utterly false. It is the opposite: capitalism makes a few people rich because it makes most people workers." quote by Andrew Austin
Back to top Go down
madelineeck

madelineeck

PostSubject: showin the clash   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 3:35 pm

Your analysis is too narrow. (Not really, Katelyn!)

You say competition is better in every way but I can think of many way in which cooperation would be superior.
You say that competition brings out the best in people but sometimes it will make people bitter and discouraged.
You say that competition eliminates poor performers but I say that workers will develop jealousy issues and try to sabotage high performers.
You say that competition lowers the cost of products but I say when companies cooperate on standards it causes greater number of products to be available at a low price. For example, the DVD standard.
You say that competition produces stronger relationships and people learn to depend on each other's strengths but I say cooperation makes everybody strong because they are building on each other's strengths.
You say that God supports competition through nature and thus created competition but I say that before Man sinned there was no competition and thus competition was brought by evil.

Negative Case

My value = strength
I would like to offer a different definition for the word achieving. The Websters New World College Dictionary defines achieving as to bring about a desired result; succeed. In strength there is success. Competition divides strength, cooperation combines strength. My main points against this resolution are:

1. In competition strengths are divided thus weakening them. In cooperation everyone's strengths are combined which leads to success.

2. Strength prevents failure in that the weak learn from and are motivated by the strong.

3. Strength unifies, creates a feeling of a team or family.
madelineeck

Back to top Go down
justinhartman

justinhartman

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 3:43 pm

Your analysis is too narrow(I dont think so I thought it was pretty nice)

1-You say "Competition provides motivation to succeed. Competition rewards the successful with victory and the failures with defeat, this makes men want to be successful" men want to be successful no matter what
2-You said "If there are only so many resources, all people must fight to get them" well wouldn't it work out better if all the people worker together and and maid a way for everyone to survive until more resources can be produced
3-You say that In society the best way to have a lasting prosperity is to have constant competition if this was so then people would get jealous and then wrong one another and take short cuts to be the best
4-you said "All people have a opportunity to succeed if they show a little effort. The sciences and technologies flourish. That is a prosperous society. That is what competition can give us." well I would like to point out that vary few if any great inventions were the work on one single man almost all great thing took a team if not of attest 2 to build
5-your quote at the beginning was not said by Adam Phelps but rather phelps adams

My value is peace
Why is your value important: My value is important because without it the world would fall into chaos
1. when you have peace you dont have to fear for anyone one like you would if you were always worrying about loved ones
2. peace makes a way for people to grow
3. peace makes the quality of life better Very Happy

Last edited by justinhartman on 10/6/2009, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
curran

curran

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 5:19 pm

Briefs vs Josh
Keeps changing the resolution
Argued a different resolution than the set one the entire time (Straw man fallacy)
Did not effectively fulfill their burden to affirm the resolution
Did not give criterion
Did not define terms in resolution
Thesis does not have anything to do with his speech (Relevance fallacy)
Not enough real life examples
Examples shown could also be used for negative case
Logic from thesis to contentions don’t make sense

Negative Case
Value is morality

Different Definitions (first two no matter what, others in case of poor definitions by opponent)
Morality as defined by Compact Oxford English Dictionary 1 principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
Competition as defined by Encarta®️ World English Dictionary [North American Edition] Process of trying to beat others: the process of trying to win or do better than others

Superior as defined by Encarta®️ World English Dictionary, North American Edition higher in quality: above average or better than another in quality or grade
Cooperation as defined by Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th Ed. the act of cooperating; joint effort or operation
Excellence as defined by American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: The state, quality, or condition of excelling; superiority.

Contentions
1: Morality motivates people to do their best
2: Morality causes competition to be unnecessary
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com
tgrice

tgrice

Location : only stucco house in benny field court in holland crossing in fuquay varina in north carilona in the usa in the east on plant earth

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 10:11 pm

josh's case is the one im useing because i my parter has 0 posts ^^

when he said cooperation leads to dictatorship and unfair trade cooperation means acting together meaning all rule themselfs not one rule all

when he said they could charge 100$ for burger and hopefully morality will kick in yes if they charge 100 for a burger most likely they want buy and grow there own ^^ resulting in less lazy generations ahead

when he said it can be used for immoral purposes they include crime and war just becasuse he dint mention it dosnt mean it not there leading on to my theory of what god would want

when he said micro wave came a common item bye using cooperation it was inventied not bye people gunning people down and people fighting over on how to make it they worked together to make a soulution and i turned out to become someing benfical giveing cooperationng and shareing it leading to
better trade

Very Happy sorry josh but i needed to use someing and yours was the one i choose Razz
Back to top Go down
http://tgrice.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Katelyn_NYC_98

Katelyn_NYC_98

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/5/2009, 11:40 pm

1)While the first quote references the value “capitalism”, it does not back it up as a positive value. It points out what is bad about capitalism, not what is good.

2)While pointing out a couple of benefits of capitalism, it never states why it is superior to cooperation.

3)The conclusion should restate the arguments, not the “reasoning behind the value”.

4)The arguments would come across much stronger if they were justified in greater detail. The selected quotes would be good at supporting the arguments if greater detail was provided. It would also be better to have more than two arguments. This would allow more wiggle room if one of the arguments was not as strong or if you are facing a strong debater.

5)The final quote points out that those who champion capitalism often do so arguing for freedom. It goes further to state that those who have been successful should have the right to rule over those that have been less fortunate. This does not support the thesis which states that competition is good for society.
Back to top Go down
anamaew

anamaew

PostSubject: My 1st Clash!!!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/6/2009, 10:07 am

My partner hasnt posted his affirmative case yet.
So I choose Justin Hartman.

1. Your analysis of the resolution is too narrow. You say you need a better paying job to
suceed, but Willam Carey a missionary to Africa struggled and was still able to survive and lived well.

2.There is more to life than money, in Colossians 3:2 "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things."

3. This life is temporary very short compared to what we will spend in heaven, Colosians 3 "Since then you have been raised in Christ, set your hearts on things above; where Christ is seated on the right hand of God."

4. Money cant buy everything you need in life you can make things you need in life,grow your own food, make your own clothes.

5. If you are going to make money you need to cooperate with other people. Especially if you are going to be a salesman.
Back to top Go down
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: here it is   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/6/2009, 6:44 pm

Holes in your debate is
1.You can set out some food and water for your cat when you go on a trip, and it will eat the right amount. This is also the true to some dogs. For example, my dog Waddles has a food container that dispenses food automatically ,after she eats more food comes down. She eats what she needs and leaves the rest of the food for later
2. Cats do not require you to walk them; they can stay occupied all day. (A) This is true, but cats do not need you to be involved with them and it is their choice if they have anything to do with you. This limits social interaction and enjoyment of your cat. (B) When cats are staying occupied all day they might destroy things, like couches, curtains, and carpets.
3. CONCLUSION: Cats can eat meals on their own. Dogs also eat meals on their own.
4. your quote states “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” if you truly believe in this quote you would want to spend time playing and interacting with your cat instead of having it occupy itself.

Value: Loyalty
Dogs are loyal to their owners
1. dogs want to please there master making them easy to train
2. Dogs can be trained to come when they are called, sit when they are told, and stay within a boundary-helps owner to act responsibly.
3. Dogs defend their master- protection study

Last edited by josiah canna on 10/7/2009, 10:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.habbo.co.uk.com
Brayden

Brayden

PostSubject: Negative case outline   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/6/2009, 9:52 pm

Negative CASE outline:

I would like to offer a different definition than my opponent for Cooperation: Cooperation is defined by the Online Cambridge Dictionary as: To act or work together for a particular purpose, or to be helpful by doing what someone asks you to do.
My value for this debate round will be Community.
My value is the most important value because community is an essential part of cooperation, as cooperation is an essential part of community. It is very hard to have community without cooperation. Therefore Cooperation is superior to competition as a means of achieving excellence.
My main points against the resolution are:
1. Community helps achieve excellence because everyone is working together and helping one another in a community.
2. Community uses each person’s resources to the best of their ability.
Back to top Go down
http://www.heritage.org/
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 9:07 am

My value = Companionship
Definitions:

Companionship: The relationship of companions; fellowship.

My value is important because companionship is much more wanted and needed than maintenance.

Why is your value important: My value is an important value because without companionship we would be sad and lonely.

1. Dogs are very friendly, and are good companions, unlike cats who are very independent.
2. Dogs will come when you call them but cats won’t.
3. Dogs will be sad when they’re not with you, cats don’t care.

Anna Lawson’s Case

1. When you said your first point, cats are easier to care for, and put your quote, it had nothing to do with the contention.

2. You didn’t offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations to support your last two points.

3. Right before you move on to your contentions, you put that in the busy world we live in today, we don’t have time to take care of dogs. You said that cats don’t bark at the door to be let out of the house, but cats do walk over to the door and meow and meow constantly until they are let out.

4. In your conclusion you said that cats make good indoor companions. That has nothing to do with your resolution!

5. Also in your conclusion, when you said that cats make good indoor companions, not all cats are like that. Some cats will claw at you are scratch or hiss when you try to pick them up or cuddle them.

Last edited by libbyfowler on 10/12/2009, 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
justin is a boss

justin is a boss

PostSubject: Negative thing vs. Michelle.   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 12:20 pm

Briefs

Argued a different resolution than the set one the entire time (Straw man fallacy)

Your arguments were too narrow and short.

Not enough real life examples.

I have never heard of the people that come from your quotes.

Your argument about having dogs always by your side doesn’t make sense. Dogs are man’s best friend, therefore you should want them by your side! Cat’s can be TOO independent.

Negative CASE outline:

My value = Cats are independent.

Why is your value important: My value is an important value because we are stronger when we are united.
1. Dogs do not have to scarf down there food. You can train them to eat in moderation. Also, you can buy an automatic feeder!
2. It’s true cats can live in an apartment there whole and be just fine. But, I wouldn’t want my pet to be ‘just fine’. I would want the best for my cat. And most people let there cats outside for the night.
3. There are also problems with letting your cat out at night. You are worried that something might happen to it. They could easily be hit by a car, get lost, or just not come home.

I don't think i did this right?
Back to top Go down
Brayden

Brayden

PostSubject: Negative Rebuttal   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 2:22 pm

Negative Rebuttals:

Here are the five rebuttals…

1. The definition for cooperation is not specific enough, here is a better definition: Cooperation is defined by the Online Cambridge Dictionary as: To act or work together for a particular purpose, or to be helpful by doing what someone asks you to do.

2. The second tagline states: “Motivation is something that is applied to every great achieving human.” The word “every” is used, but is not supported by strong statement.

3. The first argument for affirming the resolution states: “A competitive society upholding motivation as their highest value causes citizens/employees to produce more efficiently, present more friendly, and professional service, and overall present a better job at work or where(place) ever you are, being motivated in competition with their rival or competitor.” I do not believe that the statement is true. I have found a great quote to counter it from Orison Swett Marden who says:
“No employer today is independent of those about him. He cannot succeed alone, no matter how great his ability or capital. Business today is more than ever a question of cooperation.”

4. I would like to present a better definition for Excellence: Excellence is defined by the American Heritage dictionary as: Of the highest or finest quality; exceptionally good of its kind.

5. The value from the affirmative case was motivation. Why is the value motivation the best value? There are negative motivations as well, such as greed and power. Being motivated for the wrong reason drags us further away from excellence. Here is a great from Sigmund Freud who says: “Human life in common is only made possible when a majority comes together which is stronger than any separate individual and which remains united against all separate individuals. The power of this community is then set up as ''right'' in opposition to the power of the individual, which is condemned as ''brute force.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.heritage.org/
the_kev_m.d

the_kev_m.d

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 4:42 pm

Your analysis of the resolution is not correct. (Actually I thought that it was pretty good)

1. You said this, “If there was no competition, then no one would have to urge to attain a goal.” I say that that is incorrect because in cooperation, people would still have to work to gain a goal. For example, if someone wanted to build a space ship, and everyone cooperated, then they would all still be urging to attain the goal of building a space ship.
2. You said, “If competition did not exist, then some of the modern day marvels would not exist.” I say that if everyone cooperated, then we would actually have more modern marvels today than we would if we competed. For example, if Russia and the United States had been working together to get to space instead of competing, then it would have been accomplished much quicker, and today we might already have a base on the moon.
3. You said that Russia and The United State’s race for space made modern marvels, but it also created a huge stockpile of nuclear weapons. Had Russia and the United States not been competing in military strength, then the world would not be worrying about nuclear weapons today.
4. You said this, “Competition keeps us open minded to new ideas.” I agree, but I say that many of those ideas could be bad. If competitors are constantly looking for ways to defeat their foes, then they could come up with ideas that could eventually lead to death or destruction. For example, WWII was just one big competition. Both sides of the war were open-minded to create more destructive weapons than their enemy. Of course, that led to more death and destruction than there should have been. If both sides had cooperated and compromised, then those weapons would not have been invented.
5. Your definition, “The only competition worthy of a wise man is with himself,” promotes the idea of cooperation because it means that competition is only appropriate when you have it with yourself. (I'm serious)

~Kevin~
Back to top Go down
Taylor

Taylor

PostSubject: Taylor's Homework   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 6:42 pm

Clashes with Josiah's case:

The first quote you use does not state any of the key words of the resolution, such as, the ones that you defined (cats, dogs, pets, better). For all I know, the person who you got the quote from could be talking about a hippo.

You do not give a source for your definitions; therefore, they are not reliable.

You state, "For instance cats can use a litter box and do not need to be let in or out", as if this were good. It is bad. It means that they poop in your house.

You state, "Cats keep themselves clean. For instants, I would have to give them a bath all the time, they will just lick themselves clean." Most people would not like cat saliva all over them.

You state, "Cats are independent and do not require much care". This is not true. If you are responsible for your cat, you must use a scoop to transfer stinky, dirty, smelly, ugly, piles of cat crud from a box, to a plastic bag, that you have to CARRY, all the way to a garbage, and then it just sits there till it is handed over to the garbage man!!! I bet that's real fun for all you cat owners!!!

Negative Case outline:

Definitions:

Cat is defined by Cambridge dictionary of american English as a small, furry animal with four legs and a tail, often kept as a pet.

Better is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary American English as good; of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people.

Pet is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary of American English as an animal that is kept in the home as a companion and treated affectionately.

Dog is defined by the Cambrige Dictionary of American English as an animal with four legs, commonly kept as a pet, and sometimes used to guard things.

My three main points:

1. Dogs are kind and loving animals.

2.Dog can help people who are blind.

3. Dogs can protect you and your house from a bad person.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allabouttruth.info
Alex Brown

Alex Brown

Location : Everywhere and nowhere, all and none, here and there, above and below, in the right and the wrong, good and bad, inside and out, within and insideout, up and down, near and far, hot and cold, and also in Apex NC.

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 8:20 pm

Negative case outline

My Value: Morality
Not expecting to use alternative definitions
Value importance: my value is an important value because a moral society is what God intended for us.
my main points stand as follows:
1. Cooperation helps the underdog get on his feet.
2. Cooperation creates a more civilized society
3. Competition makes some a little better but most a lot worse.

1. Your quote that says "In fact, you could argue that the biggest contributor to the peace process in recent years has been the opportunity for both communities to earn a decent living. After all, that's what many such struggles come down to in the end, a competition for resources." doesn't come from a reliable source. Niall McKay is a bad actor and has no expertise this field.

2. You didn't even finish your speech. I need that to say whats wrong with it.

3. Your definitions didn't say any thing! "Competition is described as the activity of competing against others and Cooperation as The act or practice of cooperating and last but not lest Excellence the quality of being excellent." That doesn't say anything Comp. is the act of Competing? Excellence is the quality of being excellent?! If you are going to say these definitions then you need to define Excellent, Competing, and Cooperating.
My definitions are all better
Competition is defined as: a contest between two or more parties for some prize, honor, or advantage.
Superior is defined as: higher in station, rank, degree, importance, or
quality.
Cooperation is defined as: an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit.
Achieving is defined as: attaining a goal by effort.
Excellence is defined as: the fact or state of excelling

4. My Value is far better than your value because while your value of "giving people the chance to make a better living" is good my value of Morality is the reason that your value is valuable.

5. You over generalize when you say that "by competing we make this world we live in that much better." What about the ones left behind? What about the ones who can't make it for some reason? What about the lame, the blind, the deaf, the widows, the orphans, the cripple? They don't have a chance!! And you just leave them in the dust!! THEY DON'T THINK THIS BALL OF MUD WE CALL EARTH IS BETTER!!! AND YOU DON'T CARE!! YOU JUST LEAVE THEM BEHIND!! GOD COMMANDED US TO HELP THEM NOT IGNORE THEM!!! DIDN'T HE!!?? This is why I believe you over generalized.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: negative: holes in the affirmative.   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 10:06 pm

Here is my rebuttal.

(My opponents speech below)
"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." This profound observation was made by Leonardo Da Vinci

My name is Ryan McAllister and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value my thesis is that cats are more independent of their owners because cats require less care than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value--independence--requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs.

I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.

"Cat" is defined in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary as a carnivorous mammal long domesticated as a pet and for catching rats and mice; any of a family of carnivorous usually solitary and nocturnal mammals.

"Better" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as more desirable, satisfactory, or effective.

"Pet" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as an animal kept for amusement or companionship.

"Dog" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as a domesticated carnivorous mammal related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

"Independence" is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as the quality or state of being independent. "Independent," in turn, is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as not subject to control by others; not requiring or relying on something else; not requiring or relying on others (as for care or livelihood).

My value is the most important value in this debate round because cats are more independent of their owners because they require less care than dogs.

As the affirmative speaker in today's debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 2 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. In society today, people's lives are not centered on their pets, pets must compliment and enhance their owners' lives.

My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

Cats are low maintenance pets. The average American family has both adults working. The children are away at school for almost all of the day and have many after-school activities. Therefore, having a dog would be problematic because dogs need to go outside to do their business and need to be walked and played with. On the other hand, house cats can exist happily inside all day. All their needs are met with small accessories that can be added to any size home (for example, a litter box). In fact, cat owners can even leave for several days and their cats will be fine unattended. Clearly, cats live very independently.
Cats catch rats and mice. Cats serve as natural, organic pest eliminators. Whether people live in urban or country settings, cats will keep any rats and mice from becoming a problem in their owners' homes. Further, catching mice and rats adds to a cat's independence because they can serve as a food source for the cat. Dogs must be fed by their owners and are not known for their rat and mice catching skills.

In summary, I would like the judge to consider these two points: that cats are low maintenance pets and are very good at catching rats and mice.

I'll close with a quote by Dr. Raymond Hampton: "Cats are much like they were when they were first domesticated. They are very independent because they had to be to survive."

Thank you I now stand ready for cross examination.

Rebuttal:

"Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. In society today, people's lives are not centered on their pets, pets must compliment and enhance their owners' lives."
COUNTER - This argument is subjective and not backed up by facts. The AKC sanctions over 15,000 dog shows a year. Tens of thousands of people participate in these events. And most certainly their lives are centered around there pets. This argument completely discounts persons involved in any form of pet business and those individuals whose lives revolve around there pets.

The next fault is "Cats are low maintenance pets."
COUNTER - Cats and dogs both require the same basic maintenance: Food, water, medical and cleaning up after."

The next fault is:
"Therefore, having a dog would be problematic because dogs need to go outside to do their business ..."
COUNTER - This implies that dogs cannot be trained to use the litter-box as cats do. However, as evidenced by Purina Dog-Litter and the owners who have trained their dogs to use a litter-box this, while uncommon, is simply not true.

The next fault is:
"...cat owners can even leave for several days and their cats will be fine unattended. Clearly, cats live very independently."
COUNTER - This simply isn't true. There is no facts to back up this point. As an small business owner, of J&K Pet Sitting, I can assure
you that none of our clients would allow us to leave cats unattended for days.

The next fault is:
"Dogs must be fed by their owners and are not known for their rat and mice catching skills."
My opponent is inaccurate is his assessment of a canines ability to hunt and eliminate ground prey. As proved by the earthdog competitions held by AKC clubs all over the US.
Further information can be found here; http://www.akc.org/events/earthdog/index.cfm

The next fault:
"...are very good at catching rats and mice."
Counter - While true, this is hardly an argument helping prove the case that cats are better than dogs since dogs have hunted everything from mice to wolves to elk and even hunting lions (aka-cats)

Last edited by Jeremy Adams on 10/8/2009, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
caleb fountaine

caleb fountaine

PostSubject: my negative case outline and arguments on brayden's case   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/7/2009, 10:48 pm

My 5 arguments on brayden's affirmative case:

1. You ended with a quote from JFK. He was the first and only catholic us president, and was killed after 3/4 of his first term.

2. You only have only two main points, and they are very brief.

3. Your support for these two main points is very weak. (No variety, just two weak analogies)

4. I am going to take an excerpt from your case "One of our main goals in society today is to achieve discipline; we want to be more focused and superior than the person next to us. Its human nature, and when we try to do that, it forces us to be competitive, Therefore giving us more motivation to achieve discipline." If human nature is to be competitive and disciplined then why is that our goal to achieve?

5. Your thesis states that you need competition for discipline, but your conclusion states that discipline makes good competition. Which is the end and which is the means?

Negative Case Outline

Value: Democracy

We see a democracy when we look at US government. A democracy is cooperation in a sense, the goverment cooperates with the people in voting for the next president, governer etc. The US is the most powerful nation in the world, which is an example of democracy and cooperation upheld in society.

Democracy is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary as: Goverment by the people, excercised either directly or through elected representatives.
(All of my other definitions in my affirmative case I will use as well, democracy was the only new definition.)

Competition is not always superior to cooperation as a means of acheiving excellence. Cooperation may be more efficient in achieving excellence on a team, or attempting, unity, equal opprotunity, and so on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com
annalawson

annalawson

PostSubject: Clash   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/8/2009, 12:04 am

Negative Clash!!!

1. Introductory quote has nothing to do with the value silence.

2. I disagree with contention 1 that dogs bark their heads off. If dogs bark their heads off there would be no dogs on the planet.

3. I disagree with contention 3 that cats sleep when you do and dogs don’t. Cats are known to be night prowlers and stay up late at night and sleep during the day. Our dog sleeps through the night and our cat often roams.

4. I agree that silence is important but I disagree that cats are silent. Cats meow and scratch to get let outside and, therefore, are not silent. If you need silence I suggest you get a fish!

5. I agree that cats only meow when they want something but the same can be said about dogs, dogs only bark when they want something.

Dogs are loyal to their masters even when facing death.
1. Dogs are smarter than cats, are easier to train, and are more willing to learn.
2. Dogs defend their masters.
3. Dogs are man’s best friend.
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: LOL, so funny but true!!!!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/8/2009, 12:35 am

Anna, I am laughing out loud because this comment is so insightful!

Quote :
2. I disagree with contention 1 that dogs bark their heads off. If dogs bark their heads off there would be no dogs on the planet.

This makes a very good point about choosing your words carefully!

Thanks for making it!
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
Phishy

Phishy

PostSubject: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/8/2009, 12:51 am

Great job Kevin, I didn't think of those flaws in my case!

1. competing can be enjoyable in almost every circumstance. Have you ever seen teams playing together? When a team competes, they share great camaraderie whether they win or lose. I have had experience playing sports and I know what it is like to experience the thrill of competition. When you are enjoying competition, then that is keeping you from discouragement. If you are not discouraged, then you won't give up.

I disagree with this statement and find it to be more of an opinion than a statement. I have seen teams playing, and while they can be closely knit, and even though enjoyment might be a nice thought, in the modern world, few competitions aren't between people/teams who want it just for the victory. you could be enjoying the competition until you lose, and who could deny that losing is discouraging?

2. The thrill of winning encourages me to practice more, which pushes me to excel.

You contradict yourself, you say winning is what makes you push yourself to excel, but in your first point, you say that it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

3. My third argument is that enjoyment can make someone satisfied with their work. When someone is satisfied in their competition, then they work harder, which enhances their reputation.

Random house Dictionary defines satisfied as: to fulfill the desires, expectations, needs, or demands of (a person, the mind, etc.); give full contentment to. Clearly being satisfied means that you are content with your work and it needs no further enhancement. So, being satisfied with your work definitely does not mean that you will work harder.

4. (same quote)

If enjoyment and reputation are different things (which they obviously are), then enhancing seems a bit irrelevant.

5. I'll close with a general quote that states, "Competition is the whetstone of talent."

Your value is enjoyment, not talent; and talent is never mentioned, so it does not apply to your case.

I hope this helps you, I know it's kind of late!

NEGATIVE CASE OUTLINE

Value: Strength/alliance/progress...can't decide

Definitions:
Strength: power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc. (Random House Dictionary)
Alliance: a merging of efforts or interests by persons, families, states, or organizations. (Random House Dictionary)
Progress: a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage. (Random House Dictionary)
Competition: the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc. (Random House Dictionary)
Cooperation: The association of a number of people in an enterprise for mutual benefits or profits; joint effort or operation. (Webster’s New World College Dictionary)
Value: relative worth, merit, or importance. (Random House Dictionary)
Excellence: The quality of being excellent; the state of possessing good qualities in an eminent degree; exalted merit or superiority in virtue. (Webster Dictionary)

1. Cooperation progressively benefits all involved

2. Cooperation promotes peace, which can lead to unified strength

3. Cooperation helps progress because people rely on each other.
Back to top Go down
JoshLawson

JoshLawson

PostSubject: Lets take this out back   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/12/2009, 4:08 pm

Briefs vs Curran
Weak stories that don’t affect many people
He incorrectly redifines cooperation as “going with the flow”
Did not effectively fulfill the burden to affirm the resolution
Too many real life examples, that’s what argument is basically made of.
Examples shown could also be used for negative case.

Negative Case
Value is progress

Different Definitions: I agree with Opponents definitions. My Definition for progress is, Progress is hard to argue against because of this great definition out of Webster’s NewWorld dictionary: “to advance toward perfection; improve”

Contention: Without cooperation, competition as we know it can’t exist. bounce
Back to top Go down
Ryan

Ryan

PostSubject: Clash   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/15/2009, 8:22 am

here it is Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

1)My opponent didn't define 2 other key words in the resolution(better and pet).
2)I would like to point out that my dog has never eaten my curtain which are well in her reach and also that a cat climbing the drapes all the way up would leave many claw holes in the fabric while at least a dog would contain it is destructiveness to the bottom of the curtain\drape.
3)Dogs can be trained to not bark at there reflection and they usually grow out of it after they are 1 year old.
4)If cats are the quiet companion how can they be a close friend since his definition for quiet states Keep from making noise or sound so in my experience you have to be able to communicate with someone if you want them to be your friend.
5)Dogs also can be trained to not bark at your friends.
Back to top Go down
justinhartman

justinhartman

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/15/2009, 9:04 am

Alex Brown wrote:
1. Your quote that says "In fact, you could argue that the biggest contributor to the peace process in recent years has been the opportunity for both communities to earn a decent living. After all, that's what many such struggles come down to in the end, a competition for resources." doesn't come from a reliable source. Niall McKay is a bad actor and has no expertise this field. .
umm NIALL MCKAY is a San Francisco-based freelance writer and broadcast journalist.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty10/15/2009, 9:25 am

Ryan wrote:
here it is Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

1)My opponent didn't define 2 other key words in the resolution(better and pet).
2)I would like to point out that my dog has never eaten my curtain which are well in her reach and also that a cat climbing the drapes all the way up would leave many claw holes in the fabric while at least a dog would contain it is destructiveness to the bottom of the curtain\drape.
3)Dogs can be trained to not bark at there reflection and they usually grow out of it after they are 1 year old.
4)If cats are the quiet companion how can they be a close friend since his definition for quiet states Keep from making noise or sound so in my experience you have to be able to communicate with someone if you want them to be your friend.
5)Dogs also can be trained to not bark at your friends.

Yes I did define the keywords better and pet, you must have skipped over them. And you just said YOUR dog, not everybody else's dogs. Communicate with cats? How would you do that? I'm talking about the cat, not us. Dogs bark and cats sit there. It's the same with dogs, unless you think that barking is better than silence.
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!   OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH! Empty

Back to top Go down

OCT 1st HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: CLASH!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next