seekdebate930
seekdebate930
seekdebate930
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
seekdebate930

This forum is provided for the students and parents participating in the introduction to debate class at SEEK co-op, fall 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here

Go down 
+6
annalawson
justin is a boss
Bethannwd
libby fowler
josiah canna
Mrs. Gray
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty
PostSubject: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/22/2009, 11:53 pm

In Class on Thursday, Sept. 24th, We will be reviewing how to write a constructive case. Your homeworkd for the week of Sept 24th - Oct. 1st will be to post your affirmative case for the Cat vrs. Dog debate here.

Here is the Prefab: Affirmative Case FRAMEWORK that we reviewed in class:

Introduction: Start with a HOOK. (something to get your judges attention)
• Quote “__<insert quote>___” This great quote comes from _<insert source of quote>_.
or
• <insert a short story or historical example> I use this story to illustrate _<insert why this story makes a point>_.My name is _<insert name>___ and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be __<insert value here>__, and for the purpose of supporting this value I present my thesis which states___< insert Thesis here>____. In this case I will demonstrate that my value __ <insert value>__ requires us to affirm the resolution which states: ____<insert your resolution here>______.I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate. <<< INSERT YOUR AFFIRMATIVE DEFINITIONS HERE including a definition for your value.>>>> My value is the most important value in this debate round because: <<State your Thesis again.>>
As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my <<2/3/4>> main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider…<<< (insert your reasoning behind why your value is important. You may also want to give a concrete way that your value is achieved in society today>>>>My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. State point one: (insert TAG line) then offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations to support this point.
2. State point two: (insert TAG line) offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations to support this point.
3. State point three: (insert TAG line) offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations, to support this point.CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points (restate or summarize your major points briefly if time allows)
I’ll close with a quote from _<insert person’s name>__ who says “ __ <insert quote>_”.
Thank you, I now stand ready for cross examination.

Last edited by Mrs. Gray on 10/6/2009, 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: spelling error   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/25/2009, 4:04 pm

In Class on Thursday, Sept. 24th, We will be reviewing how to write a constructive case. Your homework for the week of Sept 24th - Oct. 1st will be to post your affirmative case for the Cat vrs. Dog debate here.

Here is the Prefab: Affirmative Case FRAMEWORK that we reviewed in class:

Introduction: Start with a HOOK. (something to get your judges attention)
• Quote “__<insert quote>___” This great quote comes from _<insert source of quote>_.
or
• <insert a short story or historical example> I use this story to illustrate _<insert why this story makes a point>_.My name is _<insert name>___ and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be __<insert value here>__, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved ___< insert Thesis here>____. In this case I will demonstrate that my value __ <insert value>__ requires us to affirm the resolution which states: ____<insert your resolution here>______.I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate. <<< INSERT YOUR AFFIRMATIVE DEFINITIONS HERE including a definition for your value.>>>> My value is the most important value in this debate round because: <<State your Thesis again.>>
As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my <<2/3/4>> main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider…<<< (insert your reasoning behind why your value is important. You may also want to give a concrete way that your value is achieved in society today>>>>My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. State point one: (insert TAG line) then offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations to support this point.
2. State point two: (insert TAG line) offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations to support this point.
3. State point three: (insert TAG line) offer historical examples, analogies, personal insight, or quotations, to support this point.CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points (restate or summarize your major points briefly if time allows)
I’ll close with a quote from _<insert person’s name>__ who says “ __ <insert quote>_”.

you had a typo
Back to top Go down
http://www.habbo.co.uk.com
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: Thanks for pointing out the spelling error but!   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/25/2009, 6:17 pm

Josiah, I appreciate your pointing out the spelling error but I did mention in class that spelling would not be counted against you or anyone else in class.(that includes me!) I would prefer that we all spend more time developing and articulating our debate arguments instead of worrying about spelling and grammar. The beauty of debate lies in the fact that you will never have to show your written debate case to your judge. She will never see your spelling errors and it won't really matter if you can't spell the words you are speaking.

I type very fast and I will be offering a great deal of information on this forum. I personally don't want to worry about spending the additional time that would be needed to spell check and grammar check every single post I place. I could do this and I'm sure I could prove that I do have the skills to write and spell correctly, however this would slow things down considerably and I think everyone would prefer a quick response instead of a labored one.

Continually in God's grace,
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/26/2009, 12:31 pm

ok here is my affirmative case
Introduction:
• Quote, "I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.”
-Hippolyte Taine

My name is Libby Fowler and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be silence, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved saying cats are more silent than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value silence requires us to affirm the resolution which states: cats are more silent than dogs.
I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.
cat is defined by the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary as: a small animal with fur, four legs, a tail and claws, usually kept as a pet or for catching mice, or any member of the group of similar animals such as the lion

better is defined by the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary as: comparative of good; of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing or effective than other things or people

pet is defined by the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary as: an animal which is kept in the home as a companion and treated kindly

dog is defined by the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary as: a common animal with four legs, especially kept by people as a pet or to hunt or guard things

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are quieter than dogs.
As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my three main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider dogs yelp and bark very loudly. Silence is important because we need to have silence in order to think clearly and in order to sleep soundly. A lack of silence distracts us from thinking clearly and prevents us from getting good sleep. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Dogs bark very loudly, cats don’t. Quote, “Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and cats like authors for the same reasons”
-Robertson Davies

2. Cats only meow when they want something. Quote, "If cats could talk, they wouldn't.”
- Nan Porter
3. Cats sleep when you do, dogs don’t. Quote, “Purring in his sleep, Fletch [the cat] stretches out his little black paws to touch my hands, the claws withdrawn, just a gentle touch to assure him that I am there beside him as he sleeps.” - William S. Burroughs

CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points. Dogs bark very loudly, and all the time, cats don’t, cats only meow when they want something, and cats sleep when you do, and dogs don’t.

I’ll close with a quote from Mark Twain who says “If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.”

Last edited by libby fowler on 10/26/2009, 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: Thanks LIBBY, great start!   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/26/2009, 12:53 pm

A few notes: You will need to give a dictionary definition of Silence and insert that either in your definition area or put it into the place where you "Justify" your value.

Quote :
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider dogs yelp and bark very loudly. They howl at night. Cats don’t do that at all. They might meow, but they don’t bark their head off.

This shows good thinking on your part, however when you justify your value you want to separate it from your dog/ cat argument, talk about it as being a valuable thing in and of itself.

For example: Silence is important because we need to have silence in order to think clearly and in order to sleep soundly. A lack of silence distracts us from thinking clearly and prevents us from getting good sleep. (you can use these words if you'd like to)

Please read your Affirmative Constructive case out loud and time how long it takes you to read it. If it only takes 4 or 5 minutes, consider adding additional examples and additional support for your arguments.

Thanks
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down
Bethannwd
Admin

PostSubject: LIbby, Nice work.   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/28/2009, 12:15 pm

Hi Libby,

It was great to that you were able to use Mrs. Gray's sample and get off to a good start with your affirmative case. I agree with Mrs. Gray's comments. If you find you are running a bit short timewise, you might try adding a personal story about a rude, noisy dog and the problems it caused or something that is an illustration of your point in story form. This will use up a bit more time and your audience will always connect with a personal illustration.

Keep up the good work,

Mrs. D.
Back to top Go down
justin is a boss

justin is a boss

PostSubject: Cats Vs. Dogs   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/28/2009, 10:41 pm

Affirmative Case

“It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.” This great quote comes from Deng Xiaoping.

My name is Justin Eisner and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be cleanliness, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved cats are cleaner than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value cleanliness requires us to affirm the resolution which states: cats are cleaner than dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.

Cat (American Heritage English Dictionary) : A small carnivorous mammal domesticated since early times as a catcher of rats and mice and as a pet and existing in several distinctive breeds and varieties.

Cleaner (Dictionary.com) : Being of the utmost cleanliness. Free from dirt; unsoiled; unstained.

Dogs (Dictionary.com) : A domesticated carnivorous mammal (Canis familiaris) related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are cleaner than dogs. As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my three main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider that cleanliness is/should be an important value in every home. Cats provide this.

My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Cats are usually litter box trained and therefore can go to the bathroom by themselves, where dogs have to be let outside and be leashed or fenced.

2. Cats can groom themselves. Did you ever notice how often you will see cats clean themselves? After eating, being in rain or snow, and after a tussle with another animal, cats will take a few moments to lick a paw and use it to wipe their faces, ears, and other hard-to-reach places. You'll never have to bathe your cat. She can handle the job herself. From personal experience in cat sitting, I have never been asked to groom or bathe a cat.

3. Cats get rid of rodents: it is a known fact that for hundreds of years, cats were kept for the sole purpose of keeping a house and barn free of mice. It might not be very appealing to see a rat or mouse on your carpet, but a dead rat is better than a live one! In the 900s, the Welsh had the idea of assigning value to cats, recognizing their ability to protect human food stores. The Welsh ruler Hywell the Good created laws that set cats’ worth at one penny at birth and four more for each successful rodent kill, as well as imposing strict penalties for stealing or murdering cats. Another example of the cleanliness of cats was in the 17th century during the Black Plague. If it hadn’t been for the common house cat, the human populations in European countries might have been completely wiped out hundreds of years ago by the plague, also known as the Black Death. It raged across the continent sporadically for four hundred years, leaving widespread devastation and death in its path killing 35-50% of European population.

CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points (restate or summarize your major points briefly if time allows)

I’ll close with a quote from Leonardo da Vinci who says “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.”.

Last edited by justin is a boss on 10/27/2009, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: quotes...   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 11:15 am

I CANT FIND ANY GOOD QUOTES! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THREE DAYS NO... any sights you would suggest?
Back to top Go down
Bethannwd
Admin

PostSubject: Good start Justin   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 11:35 am

Justin,

You have done a good job getting started on this. Now, try to fill out your case by talking a little more about each point that you make. When you make an argument like, "Cats groom themselves: from personal experience in cat sitting, I have never been asked to groom a cat.".... you need to expound on it. Tell me what you know about cat grooming, how do they stay clean, what amazing abilities they have to keep themselves clean, how do their grooming habits and cleanliness compare to what dogs can do to take care of themselves. Give me a personal story...that illustrates this argument.

Great beginning. Keep up the good work.

Mrs. D
Back to top Go down
Bethannwd
Admin

PostSubject: Josiah. Keep looking!!   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 11:38 am

Have you tried catquotes.com? or http://thinkexist.com/quotations/cats/

Google "cats quotes" and you should be able to come up with plenty to get you started.

Happy searching!

Mrs. D.
Back to top Go down
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 1:47 pm

hey josiah here is a site about cat quotes.
http://www.kessels.com/hobby/cats/quotes.html
Back to top Go down
annalawson

annalawson

PostSubject: Cat versus Dog Affirmative Case   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 4:12 pm

Introduction: Quote “Cats are the least tamed and the most successful of domestic species.” This great quote comes from “The Character of Cats,” by Stephen Budiansky

My name is Anna Lawson and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be maintenance, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved that cats are easier to maintain than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value maintenance requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.
Definitions:
Maintain – to provide the means of existence for
Easier – not to difficult
Cat – Any of a family of flesh-eating, predacious mammals, including the lion, tiger, leopard specifically a small, lithe soft-furred animal of this family often kept as a pet or for killing mice.
Dog – Any of a large group of domesticated animals belonging to the same family as the fox, wolf, jackal. Etc.

These definitions are taken from Websters NewWorld Dictionary.

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are easier to maintain than dogs.

As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 3 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important. Cats are easier to maintain than dogs because in today’s busy world they are far easier to care for than dogs. When you’re busy cats don’t bark for attention or bark constantly to be let in and out of the house. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Cats are easier to care for. “The cat is now the top pet in the United States. More than 60 million in number, the cat eclipsed the dog in popularity in the 1980s and now holds a margin of popularity of more than 5 million.” Cats for Dummies

2. Most cats are indoor pets and are litter-boxed trained, whereas dogs have to be let outside and then have to be leashed or fenced.

3. Cats do not have to be walked or exercised like dogs they exercise themselves.
CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points. Cats are easier to maintain in today’s world. Cats make good indoor companions and require little care. They do not have to be exercised like dogs and are less rowdy, resting or sleeping more than 70% of the time.

I’ll close with a quote from James Herriot, who says, “ Cats have always played a large part in my life, first when I was a boy in Glasgow, then as a practicing veterinary surgeon, and now, in my retirement, they are still there, lightening my days”.

Back to top Go down
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: here it is, please say its right it took me FOREVER   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 4:51 pm

• Quote “In its flawless grace and superior self-sufficiency I have seen a symbol of the perfect beauty and bland impersonality of the universe itself, objectively considered, and in its air of silent mystery there resides for me all the wonder and fascination of the unknown.
H. P. Lovecraft 1890-1937”This great quote comes from Cat quotes at catquotes.com

My name is Josiah Canna and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be Independence and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved cats are more independent than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value Independence requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets then dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate Cat: a small domestic mammal
Better: Greater in excellence or greater in quality, more. pets: domestic animal kept for pleasure rather than utility. dogs: Flesh-eating domestic mammal. My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are more independent than dogs As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my three main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. The independence of a cat allows you to have more time to enjoy being a pet owner. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. Cats are independent and do not require much care. For instance cats can use a litter box and do not need to be let in or out.
2. Cats do not need to be fed. If no food is available they will eat rats, mice, moles, or birds.
3. Cats keep themselves clean. For instants, I would have to give them a bath all the time, they will just lick themselves clean. CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points
I’ll close with a quote from Abroad with Mark Twain and Eugene Field, Fisher who says “I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course.”.
Back to top Go down
BUHLERR

BUHLERR

PostSubject: Affirmative constructive case framework!   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 7:13 pm

Introduction.
Quote: "Even the stupidest cat seems to know more than any dog."
~Eleanor Clark
My name is Michelle Buhler and i am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value i stand resolved that Cats are more independent than dogs. In this case i will demonstrate that my value, [b]independence[/b], requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats are more independent than dogs.
I am going to define a few words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate. Cat is defined by World Book Dictionary as: a small, four-footed, furry mammal, often kept as a pet or for catching mice and rats.

Better is defined by Mnemonic dictionary as: something superior in quality or condition or effect.

Pets is defined by World Book Dictionary as: any animal kept as a favorite and treated with affection.

Dogs is defined by Webster's 1828 dictionary as: a species of quardrupeds, belonging to the genus Canus, of many varieties.

My value is the most important value in the debate round because: cats are more independent than dogs. As the affirmative speaker in today's debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate i will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 3 main points.

Before i move on to my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. Independence is an important character trait in a pet. Pet owners want a companion but don't need another responsibility. Most pet owners have jobs, families, houses and automobiles to care for. Having an independent pet is a asset.

My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Dogs need to be taken outside to go to the bathroom and exercise, cats can exercise themselves in your apartment or home if toys and equipment is provided, cats also can be left in your home unattended for much longer periods of time than dogs can.

2. a Cat is known to be a cleaner animal. They spend most of their day grooming and cleaning themselves and they have fewer odors than dogs. Dog owners must spend time and money bathing and cutting their pet's fur.

3. Cats do not require as much attention as dogs, dogs always want to be by your side. Quote, "Cats always know whether people like or dislike them. They do not always care enough to do anything about it." - Winifred Carriere
Dogs can't discern if people like or dislike them. This is often a problem for the postman, UPS man and meter reader. I've never heard of one of these careers disliking cats but they often hate dogs.

Conclusion: In summary I would like the judge to consider this: A cat exercises by itself and goes to the bathroom on its own; a dog needs to be taken outside to go to the bathroom and exercise. A cat cleans itself; a dog needs to be bathed and clipped. Cats don't require attention; Dogs demand attention.

I 'll close with a humorous quote from Rodney Dangerfield, "When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up."

Last edited by BUHLERR on 10/27/2009, 11:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty9/30/2009, 10:23 pm

Jeremy Adams
Debate Class: SEEK
9/30/2009

Introduction Quote: "If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much,” quoted by Mark Twain.

My name is Jeremy Adams and I am the affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round is silence.  For the purpose of supporting this value my thesis will be:  Cats make better pets than dogs because they are quieter than dogs.    I will demonstrate that my value of silence requires us to affirm the resolution which states:  Cats make better pets than dogs.

I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.
My source is the Merriam Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus.
1) Quiet: Keep from making noise or sound
2) Cat: Small domestic Animal
3) Silence: Absence of sound or noise
4) Companion: Close Friend

My value is the most important one in this debate round because: cats make better pets than dogs. As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate, I will show how my value is the most important one to consider when deciding on this resolution by stating 3 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions, let me explain my value, silence, which brings with it presence of mind. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. State point one: “Your cat will never threaten your popularity by barking at three in the morning.  He won't attack the mailman or eat the drapes;
although he may climb the drapes to see how the room looks from the ceiling.”  ~Helen Powers
A cat won't wake up your neighbors (or you) in the middle of the night, and he/she won't tear things up or attack the mailman as a bonus.
2. State point two: Silence is necessary so we can think and sleep better.  A loud pet keeps us from thinking well and sleeping well.  For example… A barking dog can disrupt you when reading or doing school work, and if a dog barks at night it wakes you up and disrupts your sleep.
~Mrs. Gray
3. State point three: "Cats don't whine to go for a walk; they quietly use their litter-box." Carolyn/Mom

CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points: not waking you or your neighbors up in the morning, Cats are silent so you can sleep and do school better, and they don't whine for a walk, they quietly use their litter-box. I’ll close with a quote from Barbara L. Diamond who says, “If there were to be a universal sound depicting peace, I would surely vote for the purr.”

Last edited by Jeremy Adams on 11/18/2009, 11:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
Taylor

Taylor

PostSubject: Taylor's HOMEWORK!!!   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/1/2009, 8:48 am

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.” This quote is Anonymous. The ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as Gods, believing them to be sacred. I use this story to illustrate that cats are so majestic, that they were once mistaken to be Gods. My name is Taylor Casbon and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved Cats make better pets than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value, independence, requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.

Independence is defined as The state or quality of being independent.

Cat is defined by Cambridge dictionary of american English as a small, furry animal with four legs and a tail, often kept as a pet.

Better is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary American English as good; of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people.

Pet is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary of American English as an animal that is kept in the home as a companion and treated affectionately.

Dog is defined by the Cambrige Dictionary of American English as an animal with four legs, commonly kept as a pet, and sometimes used to guard things.

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats make better pets than dogs. As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 2 main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider Cats first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. You can set out some food and water for your cat when you go on a trip, and it will eat the right amount. They will even eat mice and chase snakes out of your yard.

2. Cats do not require you to walk them; they can stay occupied all day.
3. Cats make a good partner when you’re sun bathing, they will lay out with you all day.

CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these two points: Cats can eat meals on their own. Cats can stay occupied on their own. Cats are nice to sun bathe with. I’ll close with a quote from Charles Dickens, who says, “What greater gift than the love of a cat?”

Last edited by Taylor on 11/3/2009, 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : This one is better!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.allabouttruth.info
Ryan

Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/4/2009, 10:38 pm

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." This profound observation was made by Leonardo Da Vinci

My name is Ryan McAllister and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value my thesis is that cats are more independent of their owners because cats require less care than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value--independence--requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs.

"Cat" is defined in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary as a carnivorous mammal long domesticated as a pet and for catching rats and mice; any of a family of carnivorous usually solitary and nocturnal mammals.

"Better" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as more desirable, satisfactory, or effective.

"Pet" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as an animal kept for amusement or companionship.

"Dog" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as a domesticated carnivorous mammal related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

"Independence" is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as the quality or state of being independent. "Independent," in turn, is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as not subject to control by others; not requiring or relying on something else; not requiring or relying on others (as for care or livelihood).

My value is the most important value in this debate round because cats are more independent of their owners because they require less care than dogs.

As the affirmative speaker in today's debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 2 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. In society today, people's lives are not centered on their pets, pets are required to compliment and enhance their owners' lives.

Cats require less maintenance than dogs. The average American family has both adults working. The children are away at school for almost all of the day and have many after-school activities. Therefore, having a dog would be problematic because all but a handful of dogs need to go outside to do their business and also need to be walked and played with. On the other hand, house cats can exist happily inside all day. All their needs are met with small accessories that can be added to any size home (for example, a litter box). In fact, cat owners can even leave for 24-36 hours and their cats will be fine unattended. Clearly, cats live very independently.
Cats catch rats and mice. Cats serve as natural, organic pest eliminators. Whether people live in urban or country settings, cats will keep any rats and mice from becoming a problem in their owners' homes. Further, catching mice and rats adds to a cat's independence because they can serve as a food source for the cat. Dogs must be fed by their owners and are not known for their rat and mice catching skills.

In summary, I would like the judge to consider these two points: that cats are low maintenance pets and are very good at catching rats and mice.

I'll close with a quote by Dr. Raymond Hampton: "Cats are much like they were when they were first domesticated. They are very independent because they had to be to survive."

Thank you I now stand ready for cross examination.

Last edited by Ryan on 11/10/2009, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taylor

Taylor

PostSubject: Here are the holes in your debate!!! :)   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/6/2009, 12:15 pm

josiah canna wrote:
• Quote “In its flawless grace and superior self-sufficiency I have seen a symbol of the perfect beauty and bland impersonality of the universe itself, objectively considered, and in its air of silent mystery there resides for me all the wonder and fascination of the unknown.
H. P. Lovecraft 1890-1937”This great quote comes from Cat quotes at catquotes.com

My name is Josiah Canna and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be Independence and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved cats are more independent than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value Independence requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets then dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate Cat: a small domestic mammal
Better: Greater in excellence or greater in quality, more. pets: domestic animal kept for pleasure rather than utility. dogs: Flesh-eating domestic mammal. My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are more independent than dogs As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my three main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. The independence of a cat allows you to have more time to enjoy being a pet owner. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. Cats are independent and do not require much care. For instance cats can use a litter box and do not need to be let in or out.
2. Cats do not need to be fed. If no food is available they will eat rats, mice, moles, or birds.
3. Cats keep themselves clean. For instants, I would have to give them a bath all the time, they will just lick themselves clean. CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points
I’ll close with a quote from Abroad with Mark Twain and Eugene Field, Fisher who says “I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course.”.

The first quote you use does not state any of the key words of the resolution, such as, the ones that you defined (cats, dogs, pets, better). For all I know, the person who you got the quote from could be talking about a hippo.

You do not give a source for your definitions; therefore, they are not reliable.

You state, "For instance cats can use a litter box and do not need to be let in or out", as if this were good. It is bad. It means that they poop in your house.

You state, "Cats keep themselves clean. For instants, I would have to give them a bath all the time, they will just lick themselves clean." Most people would not like cat saliva all over them.

You state, "Cats are independent and do not require much care". This is not true. If you are responsible for your cat, you must use a scoop to transfer stinky, dirty, smelly, ugly, piles of cat crud from a box, to a plastic bag, that you have to CARRY, all the way to a garbage, and then it just sits there till it is handed over to the garbage man!!! I bet that's real fun for all you cat owners!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.allabouttruth.info
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: thanks =]   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/6/2009, 1:56 pm

Taylor wrote:
josiah canna wrote:

gee thanks =P

The first quote you use does not state any of the key words of the resolution, such as, the ones that you defined (cats, dogs, pets, better). For all I know, the person who you got the quote from could be talking about a hippo.

You do not give a source for your definitions; therefore, they are not reliable.

You state, "For instance cats can use a litter box and do not need to be let in or out", as if this were good. It is bad. It means that they poop in your house.

You state, "Cats keep themselves clean. For instants, I would have to give them a bath all the time, they will just lick themselves clean." Most people would not like cat saliva all over them.

You state, "Cats are independent and do not require much care". This is not true. If you are responsible for your cat, you must use a scoop to transfer stinky, dirty, smelly, ugly, piles of cat crud from a box, to a plastic bag, that you have to CARRY, all the way to a garbage, and then it just sits there till it is handed over to the garbage man!!! I bet that's real fun for all you cat owners!!!
Back to top Go down
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: now its time for your holes =D   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/6/2009, 6:42 pm

Taylor wrote:
“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.” This quote is Anonymous. The ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as Gods, believing them to be sacred. I use this story to illustrate that cats are so majestic, that they were once mistaken to be Gods. My name is Taylor Casbon and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved Cats make better pets than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value, independence, requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.
Cat is defined by Cambridge dictionary of american English as a small, furry animal with four legs and a tail, often kept as a pet.

Better is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary American English as good; of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people.

Pet is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary of American English as an animal that is kept in the home as a companion and treated affectionately.

Dog is defined by the Cambrige Dictionary of American English as an animal with four legs, commonly kept as a pet, and sometimes used to guard things.

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats make better pets than dogs. As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 2 main points.
Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider Cats first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:
1. You can set out some food and water for your cat when you go on a trip, and it will eat the right amount.
2. Cats do not require you to walk them; they can stay occupied all day.
CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these two points: Cats can eat meals on their own. Cats can stay occupied on their own. I’ll close with a quote from Charles Dickens, who says, “What greater gift than the love of a cat?”

Taylor,

Holes in your debate is
1.You can set out some food and water for your cat when you go on a trip, and it will eat the right amount. This is also the true to some dogs. For example, my dog Waddles has a food container that dispenses food automatically ,after she eats more food comes down. She eats what she needs and leaves the rest of the food for later
2. Cats do not require you to walk them; they can stay occupied all day. (A) This is true, but cats do not need you to be involved with them and it is their choice if they have anything to do with you. This limits social interaction and enjoyment of your cat. (B) When cats are staying occupied all day they might destroy things, like couches, curtains, and carpets.
3. CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these two points: Cats can eat meals on their own. Dogs also eat meals on their own.
4. your quote states “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” if you truly believe in this quote you would want to spend time playing and interacting with your cat instead of having it occupy itself.
Back to top Go down
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: hope this is the right thread   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/6/2009, 6:45 pm

Value: Loyalty
Dogs are loyal to their owners
1. dogs want to please there master making them easy to train
2. Dogs can be trained to come when they are called, sit when they are told, and stay within a boundary-helps owner to act responsibly.
3. Dogs defend their master- protection
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: One comment about Taylor's definition attack...   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty10/6/2009, 7:26 pm

Taylor I did want to give you an advance head's up with regard to your comment:
Quote :
You do not give a source for your definitions; therefore, they are not reliable

It isn't absolutely essential that the affirmative speaker give the source of their definitions in their first speech. I like to see this done because it is a courtesy but some debaters will strategically not state the source of their definitions in order to save time. If this happens, the negative speaker would have the opportunity to ask what the source of these definitions are in Cross X. You would ask " I noticed you offered no source for your definitions, could you please tell me where your definitions came from?" If your opponents answers this question with an "unsatisfactory" answer (ie I made them up, or I got them from Wikipedia etc) Then you could challenge his definitions in your rebuttal.
You would do this by saying...
My opponent's definitions should not be allowed in this debate because they do not come from a reliable source. I offer the following definitions from Websters Collegiate dictionary as the preferred definitions in this debate round.

We will discuss the concept of cross X questions in more depth on Thursday.
Good job with the bantering back and forth on these arguments.
Don't forget to post your outline for your negative case into the same post you critiqued Josiah's case.
Thanks
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down
libby fowler

libby fowler

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty11/10/2009, 7:43 pm

• Quote, "I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.”
-Hippolyte Taine

My name is Libby Fowler and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be silence, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved saying cats are more silent than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value silence requires us to affirm the resolution which states, resolved: cats are better pets than dogs.

Silence is defined as: the state or fact of being silent; muteness.

cat is defined as: a small domesticated carnivore, bred in a number of varieties.

better is defined as: of superior quality or excellence

pet is defined as: any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

dog is defined as: a domesticated animal, bred in many varieties.

All these definitions are defined by dictionary.com.

As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats are quieter than dogs. I will show this with my three main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. Dogs yelp and bark very loudly. Silence is important because we need to have silence in order to think clearly and in order to sleep soundly. A lack of silence distracts us from thinking clearly and prevents us from getting good sleep. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Dogs bark very loudly, cats don’t. Quote, “Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and cats like authors for the same reasons”
-Robertson Davies

2. Cats only meow when they want something. Quote, "If cats could talk, they wouldn't.”
- Nan Porter

3. Cats are good hunters. My cat, Mocha loves to go out into the woods and hunt. Sometimes, he will find a bug in bunch of leaves and grab the leaves with his mouth and bring the mouthful of leaves home. On the way the bug will escape and when he gets home, he proudly presents us the leaves.

In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points. Dogs bark very loudly, cats don’t, cats only meow when they want something, and cats are good hunters.

I’ll close with a quote from Mark Twain who says “If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.”
Thank you, I now stand ready for cross ex.
Back to top Go down
annalawson

annalawson

PostSubject: affirmative case for cats vs dogs   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty11/10/2009, 11:15 pm

Introduction: Quote “Cats are the least tamed and the most successful of domestic species.” This great quote
comes from “The Character of Cats,” by Stephen Budiansky

My name is Anna Lawson and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be convenience, and for the purpose of supporting this value I stand resolved that cats make more convenient pets than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value convenience requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs. I am going to define a few of the key words in this resolution to ensure that we all understand what this resolution means. I present these definitions as the standard for which you can further understand this debate.
Definitions:
Convenience: Anything that adds to one’s comfort or saves work.
Cat – Any of a family of flesh-eating, predacious mammals, including the lion, tiger, leopard specifically a small, lithe soft-furred animal of this family often kept as a pet or for killing mice.
Dog – Any of a large group of domesticated animals belonging to the same family as the fox, wolf, jackal. Etc.

These definitions are taken from Websters NewWorld Dictionary.

My value is the most important value in this debate round because: Cats make more convenient pets than dogs .

As the affirmative speaker in today’s debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 3 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important. Cats make more convenient pets than dogs because in today’s busy world they are far easier to care for than dogs. When you’re busy cats don’t bark for attention or bark constantly to be let in and out of the house. My first argument explaining why my value requires us to affirm this resolution is:

1. Cats are more convenient for your daily lives. Quoting from Kitten Care and Training by Amy D. Shojai, “The 1980s brought increasing changes in social structure and lifestyles when people began, more and more, to live in cities and apartments. Cats were perceived to be convenience pets because they were just the right size for apartment living and didn’t demand daily walks like dogs. Consequently, the late 1980s saw cats surpass dogs as the number-one pet of choice in the United States.

2. Most cats are indoor pets and are litter-boxed trained, whereas dogs have to be let outside and then have to be leashed or fenced. Our dog, Charlie, is constantly barking to be let in and out but our cat, Star can almost take care of herself.

3. Cats do not have to be walked or exercised like dogs they exercise themselves. For example, the labrador retriever has to be walked or exercised daily rain or shine. Cats can be content sleeping or staying indoors in inclimate weather.

CONCLUSION: In summary I would like the judge to consider these three points. Cats make more convenient pets in today’s world. Cats make good indoor pets because they are litter-boxed trained and require little care. They do not have to be exercised like dogs and are less rowdy, resting or sleeping more than 70% of the time.

I’ll close with a quote from James Herriot, who says, “ Cats have always played a large part in my life, first when I was a boy in Glasgow, then as a practicing veterinary surgeon, and now, in my retirement, they are still there, lightening my days”.

Back to top Go down
Ryan

Ryan

PostSubject: Aff. Case   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty11/17/2009, 10:44 pm

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." This profound observation was made by Leonardo Da Vinci

My name is Ryan McAllister and I am the Affirmative speaker for this debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer, and negative speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be independence, and for the purpose of supporting this value my thesis is that cats are more independent of their owners because cats require less care than dogs. In this case I will demonstrate that my value--independence--requires us to affirm the resolution which states: Cats make better pets than dogs.

"Cat" is defined in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary as a carnivorous mammal long domesticated as a pet and for catching rats and mice; any of a family of carnivorous usually solitary and nocturnal mammals.

"Better" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as more desirable, satisfactory, or effective.

"Pet" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as an animal kept for amusement or companionship.

"Dog" is defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as a domesticated carnivorous mammal related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds.

"Independence" is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as the quality or state of being independent. "Independent," in turn, is defined by the Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary as not subject to control by others; not requiring or relying on something else; not requiring or relying on others (as for care or livelihood).

My value is the most important value in this debate round because cats are more independent of their owners because they require less care than dogs.

As the affirmative speaker in today's debate round, I have the privilege of agreeing with the truth of this resolution. In order to win this debate I will show how my value is the most important value to consider when deciding on this resolution. I will show this with my 2 main points.

Before I move onto my contentions let me first explain why my value is the most important value to consider. In society today, people's lives are not centered on their pets, pets are required to compliment and enhance their owners' lives.

Cats require less maintenance than dogs. The average American family has both adults working. The children are away at school for almost all of the day and have many after-school activities. Therefore, having a dog would be problematic because all but a handful of dogs need to go outside to do their business and also need to be walked and played with. On the other hand, house cats can exist happily inside all day. All their needs are met with small accessories that can be added to any size home (for example, a litter box). In fact, cat owners can even leave for a day or so and their cats will be fine unattended. Clearly, cats live very independently.
Cats catch rats and mice. Cats serve as natural, organic pest eliminators. Whether people live in urban or country settings, cats will keep any rats and mice from becoming a problem in their owners' homes. Further, catching mice and rats adds to a cat's independence because they can serve as a food source for the cat. Dogs must be fed by their owners and are not known for their rat and mice catching skills.

In summary, I would like the judge to consider these two points: that cats are low maintenance pets and are very good at catching rats and mice.

I'll close with a quote by Dr. Raymond Hampton: "Cats are much like they were when they were first domesticated. They are very independent because they had to be to survive."

Thank you I now stand ready for cross examination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here   Please Post your affirmative case  for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here Empty

Back to top Go down

Please Post your affirmative case for the CAT VRS. DOG debate here
Page 1 of 1