seekdebate930
seekdebate930
seekdebate930
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
seekdebate930

This forum is provided for the students and parents participating in the introduction to debate class at SEEK co-op, fall 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE

Go down 
+17
Taylor
curran
Jeremy Adams
justin is a boss
anamaew
caleb fountaine
Katelyn_NYC_98
Brayden
annalawson
JoshLawson
BUHLERR
tgrice
Alex Brown
the_kev_m.d
libby fowler
justinhartman
Mrs. Gray
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
curran

curran

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/9/2009, 11:15 pm

Numoro Uno (aka 1)
Appeal to Consequences
Neo is asked "Do you believe in fate?"; he says that he doesn’t. He is then asked "Why?", and replies, “I don’t like the thought that I’m not in control.”

Numoro Dos (2)
Post Hoc Fallacy
A football player has a certain ritual before every game. This came about because once, before a game he did this thing then made a good result. Now before every game, he does this ritual because his reasoning suggests that the ritual must have contributed to his success.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: Kara on the computer   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/10/2009, 9:27 am

hasty generalization: While kara was on the computer she said while giving a picture of Lizzy a blue ribbon:

"Lizzy's the cutest dog on earth!"
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
Taylor

Taylor

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/11/2009, 2:56 pm

I love playing outside and getting fresh air! Isn't it great to excercise. I want to play Xbox.-Non Sequitur

I crashed on my rollor blades; therefore, al people on rollor blades crash.-Fallacy of Composition.
Mrs. Gray wrote:
In class on Sept. 3rd, I assigned you the task of observing and recording 2 logical fallacies on the forum. For the sake of this exercise I would prefer that you not use the AD HOMINEM fallacy. (this fallacy is far too commonly used, easily understood, and not something I want to "major" on in our class) I want you to think through what we discussed in class on Wednesday and process what you read in your book this week. Keep a look out for fallacies occuring in your everyday life, or do your best to remember and record something you heard in the past. The purpose of this assignment is to show me you understand and can apply the introductory materials on common fallacies.

Here is how I'd like you to format your post:

Name of Fallacy: Description of how it presented in your life.

For example:

Hasty Generalization: When I was listening to the news I heard an elderly gentleman comment about how he felt all
highschool students were disrespectful and lazy.

Please attempt to post your homework one time; listing both observed fallacies. Remember how I told you in class that I get an email notice every time someone posts anything to the forum.

Thanks
Mrs. Gray

To post your homework simply reply back to this topic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allabouttruth.info
madelineeck

madelineeck

PostSubject: logical fallacies post here   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/12/2009, 2:30 pm

This syllogism is true:Cats are animals, Animals are mammals, Cats are mammals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

circular reasoning: : 'Why do you think we have to do chores?'

Beth: 'Because Mom needs help.'

Laura: 'Why does she need help?'

Beth: 'Because we don't do our chores.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hasty generalization: dogs are mean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slippery slope: If I go outside for water and leave Bob all alone a tree might fall on him and he could break his leg and if he breaks his leg we wont be able to go to the movies tonight and if we can't go to the movies he will be so mad that he missed the show that he won't be my friend any more and if he wont be my friend I'll have no friends!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appeal to pity: Teacher: 'Why didn't you bring your homework to class?'

Amy: 'Oh I tried, but my little sister ripped up my homework!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~

non sequitur: have three kitttens. They are so nice! I hate animals!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appeal to athourity: It's okay for the kids at SEEK to leave the campus because my mom said so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appeal to the people:Its OK to cheat on your homework everybody does it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

false dilema:Do it or I'll scream!
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Gray
Admin
Mrs. Gray

PostSubject: Wow going above and Beyond! Great job Madeline!   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/12/2009, 3:36 pm

You went above and beyond, Great job! Super examples
Thanks Madeline
Back to top Go down
https://seekdebate930.forumotion.com
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: My homework. Sorry for being late   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/14/2009, 10:57 am

Appeal to pity: John Mcain said “Obama was talking to a land owner and he wanted to buy a business but it would cost him to much money and he would go bankrupt. Because you were going to put him in a higher tax bracket which was going to increase his taxs which was going to cause him not to be able to employ people Jo wouldn’t be able to do what his life long dream was. Jo I want to tell you that I will not only help you mentain that business but I will keep your taxs low, I will provide helpful and fordable health care for you and your employees and I will not have, I will not stand for a tax increase on small businesses income 50./* small income paid by small businesses. That’s 16 million jobs in America. And what you want to do to Jo the Plummer and people more like him Taxs increased and not be able to realize the American dream Of owning your own business that’s what Jo believes.”

Straw Man: John Mcain said “I am going to spread the wealth around. The hole premise behind senator Obama’s plans are class warfare. Lets spread the wealth around, I want small businesses that would receive a increase taxs. Why would any one want to increase there taxs? Any one in America!? When we have such a hard time like these small business people like Jo the Plummer are going to create jobs unless you take the money from him and spread the wealth around. I am not going to do that, I’m just not.”
I found these at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvdfO0lq4rQ
Back to top Go down
http://www.habbo.co.uk.com
tgrice

tgrice

Location : only stucco house in benny field court in holland crossing in fuquay varina in north carilona in the usa in the east on plant earth

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/14/2009, 1:51 pm

that was great thanks for shareing LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://tgrice.forumotion.com/forum.htm
josiah canna

josiah canna

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/14/2009, 3:01 pm

tgrice wrote:
that was great thanks for shareing LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
I got it on u tube watched about 10 minutes of it and i got two of them What a Face i almost fell asleep it was boring because Mcain was talking about a guy i didn't know about. Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.habbo.co.uk.com
Phishy

Phishy

PostSubject: Re: Logical Fallacies   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/14/2009, 7:49 pm

Circular Reasoning
For another debate class we had to start with the death penalty:
'The United States kills people to punish them for killing people.'

Appeal to Popularity
Just found this fact on a website, made it a logical fallacy...voila.
'Research shows that 53% of people didn't like Abraham Lincoln during his time. So he must have been a bad president.'

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ryan

Ryan

PostSubject: fallacy   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty9/15/2009, 4:29 pm

Fallacy of Composition
I've never shot at a ten foot basketball goal, therefore ten foot basketball goals do not exist
this work? Question

Slippery slope
At Jordan Lake there was this thing called ''Air Chair''I could have ridden it but I didn't why? Because this might have happened: I might not have gotten above the water and if I didn't it would have bonked me on the head and if it bonked me on the head I would gotten a concusion and if I got a concusion I would go mad an if I went mad I would eat everyboby and you get it bounce
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Adams

Jeremy Adams

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty12/16/2009, 6:03 pm

Nobody comes on this site any more...
Back to top Go down
http://theoneforum.forumotion.com/memberlist.forum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE   LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

LOGICAL FALLACIES POST HERE
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2